Monday, June 9, 2008

Purpose will be enough

This has been a very emotional time for Carol and me. Our youngest sons just graduated from high school and we’re filled with mixed feelings as we transition through this summer and go through the process of preparing them for life after high school.

Now it’s their turn to enter the most difficult season of one’s life and we find ourselves praying and hoping they can get through it without too many distractions and detours.

It was the time of life that knocked me off course for over ten years and our oldest son is in the midst of his detour recovery. It’s just a real difficult transition to make in life. That was the reason I wrote the What Now book. Now my sons are in it. I hope they can pick up some of the words of wisdom that I have passed on to others.

I look back over the past four years and I realize that they have been a part of shaping who my sons are today. They are stronger and full of purpose. They are not wavering from that point of view. As parents, our concern is for the people and ideas that will now be bombarding their lives. The promise we have from God is that we would give them purpose, and that would be enough.

Okay Lord, we hold on to Your promise.