Thursday, July 29, 2010

Called To Be Spiritual Parents

Carol and I had a wonderful conversation with one of our spiritual daughters here in Harrisburg. We talked until almost 1:00am. Even though we had to go to work the next morning, it was well worth it. When someone shares that we are the only true mother and father that they have ever known, that we are people they can confide in and not be judged or treated differently after you confess your flaws, it becomes another strong reminder of WHY God sent us to this community. It confirms the calling and mission to bring healing to hearts and homes.

A couple of weeks ago I received a scathing email from someone who told me that I was in error because we are referred to as spiritual parents and that GOD is the only true Father. The person told me that I should just raise my own kids. I don’t know why this person felt it necessary to attack us in this way.

We never called ourselves spiritual parents. The young people that we served began to call us mom and dad. Way back in 1990, a prophetic word came to us that we would be a father and mother in Zion. So we have been simply walking and living out the purpose of God. It never dawned on me that it would offend someone that God called us to be spiritual parents and not just carry the title of pastors.

Well, I forgive this person and release them. Father, forgive them because they don’t know what they are doing. They are attacking YOU in their effort to “correct” us. They are trying to tear down and stop something that YOU have done.

After spending some quality time with another of OURS, (which is the phrase we use to describe the special young people that God connects us to), I realize even more that the attack was meant to distract, discourage and detour us from what we were born into this world to do.

This is truly this most awesome journey and the start of the best time of our lives.


Chris and Carol Green (Sr. Pastor and 1st Lady, Dad and Mom)
Urban Life Church of Harrisburg, PA
www.urbanlife-church.org