Friday, May 27, 2011

Covenant Connection

Carol and I have been on vacation this week. It's been a wonderful week of rest and relaxation. This week was intentionally planned to coincide with the church schedule and our job schedules.

We just completed our first new member confirmation ceremony since March of 2008. What a joy it was to officially confirm family into the Urban Life Church.
When I say family that includes a nephew, second cousins, and a spiritual daughter that God brought into our lives five years ago.

I can't find the words to express my joy. I feel like I could burst into tears as I think of each person who has decided to identify their connection to the Body of Christ with us.

All I know is that we can do something great for God and these are people who can help us do it.

The ceremony (http://www.urbanlife-church.org/videos/Sundays_2011/Sunday-05-22-11.html) was brief and straight forward. We only ask that each member promise to live a Godly life, read the Bible and pray. We vow, as leaders, to be examples for them to follow and to do all that we can to equip them to serve their families and one another.

Then we vow together to allow God to do something great in us, so that we can fulfill the vision to rebuild, restore and renew hearts and homes in the urban community.

Then we prayed for each new member and presented them with a certificate of membership.

I realize that I say this all the time, but I feel so strongly that God is preparing this church family for something wonderful.