Tuesday, February 5, 2008

God's Chosen Foolish Things

Today, my daily Bible Reading included one of the scriptures that is part of the foundational make up of my heart and life.

1 Corinthians 1:26-29 (New King James Version)
For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called. But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty; and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are, that no flesh should glory in His presence.

I just sat and worshipped for a minute after reading this word. I was preparing for an extremely busy day: Three briefings including two sessions with high power people, were awaiting me. In a couple of hours, I would be sitting in rooms with some of the most powerful and influential people in the state of Pennsylvania. They are power brokers. They have money, reputations, influence, affluence, education, and skill.

Me, I have a little bit of college. I have no degrees. I have none of the things that they have. I will sit at a desk and advance the slides of a Power Point presentation. I will most likely be the only person of color in the room. I will say nothing, because I have nothing to say.

I'm not belittling myself. It's just a reality for the day that awaits me. But the Lord took the time to remind me that it's not many earthly wise, noble or mighty people who are called. He has chosen the foolish, weak, base and despised things. That's how I've always felt about myself.

How good it is to know that from the criteria of God, I qualified to be one of His choices. I must share this with the Fruitful Life family this week.