Monday, February 1, 2010

I wanted to make you stronger....

Just last night, we attended the anniversary service of a pastor in this community. Like so many times before, we felt led to go even though we were very tired, having already been in our own service Sunday morning.

The guest speaker was a wonderful woman of God who pastors a dynamic and cutting edge church in the inner city. God gave her a powerful word and at the conclusion she shared a story that we know was a confirmation for what God is doing.

She shared a story in which a man was told by the Lord to go out every day and to push a large boulder. So day after day, week after week, month after month, he went out every day and pushed the boulder with all his strength. After several years, the boulder still had not moved one single inch. He felt that after all this time, since nothing had happened it had all been a waste of time and that he had failed.

So the man got discouraged and was ready to quit. He prayed and asked the Lord why HE told him to move this boulder if He knew that it wasn’t going to move after all this time. The Lord answered and said, "I didn’t tell you to move the boulder. I told you to PUSH the boulder. It was not my intention for you to move the boulder, I wanted to prepare you for the mountain that I’m about to take you to conquer. I’m preparing you for the next assignment. While you were pushing the boulder, your muscles have gotten stronger. Your back is stronger. Your legs are stronger. I wanted to make you stronger for your assigned task."

Carol and I just looked at each other. It was the final confirmation, of several, that have come this month during our time of prayer and fasting.