Wednesday, February 24, 2010

We love people, not money

Well, I've stepped out there and starting talking about issues that are going to be very controversial. As expected, names have begun dropping off the facebook list.

It's funny how the moment you step on one of those sacred cows, how quickly people drop off the band wagon.

I remember how my Bishop struggled with doctrinal positions with his overseer. He was willing to gracefully bow out of the organization so that he would not cause division, confusion or strife.

I wonder where we will stand as we come forth with our position on various topics. I've been doing quite a bit of research and study on early church history and there was an awful lot of debate over everything. Now I find myself in the same spot where I can either polarize our people or try to just present the facts, and allow them to decide how they will walk out various issues.

The current debate that I have stirred up is the issue of tithes vs. free will giving. Arguments are strong on both sides of the debate. Now as we minister to people who don't know anything about this stuff, there is no way we can hit them with this when they are just walking in the doors, or just deciding to return to church.
So right now, we are presenting both sides of the argument and trying to bring balance. I'm sure that our strategy for balance will be disagreed with and challenged. But I'm more interested in leading people to the Lord and welcoming them back into the family than hitting them over the head with financial requirements and the on-going debate as to if whether they should tithe or not.

So after reading this blog, I'm sure that even more people will drop off the list, but we gotta do, what we gotta do. We love people, not money. I'm not looking for support of our ministry. We're looking to give support to these young lives.

Some will say that I'm hurting them by not enforcing the tithe. I don't believe that. We are teaching them to become givers. We're teaching the law of sowing and reaping. We're teaching about first fruits (which was not a tithe), AND we're presenting the tithe. We're leaving it up to God to lead them in what they should do. We will not enforce or mandate it.

I'd rather take the position of the Apostle Paul and continue to work and support myself than hinder the gospel because of money.