Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Music from the Heart

I was thinking the other day about the scores of songs that Carol and I have written over the past 20 years. I don’t think that we have ever sold any of the music. Frankly, that is because it is not of the professional level of execution and quality that it would need to be in order to merit being sold. I wouldn’t dare require someone to pay for what we have right now. The goal isn’t pay anyway. The goal is to release the music at the level in which I can hear it in my heart.

I don’t say that with any sense of false humility. That’s just plain reality. I remember when I was in high school and I came face to face with the reality that I didn’t have what it takes in talent and skill to play football. It was quite disappointing and I was depressed about it for a while, but eventually I moved on to find my true gifting which was writing.

I know the same thing applies to music. Even though I have the ability to write songs and place lyrics within a melodic structure, it doesn’t necessary mean I have the ability to play or sing it. I look forward to the day when I’m able to produce a music project where I can employ great musicians and vocalist to play and sing the songs that we have written.

In the meantime, we have recorded and posted most of the songs on our Fruitful Life music webpage. We have even sung a few of them in live settings, but that is not the ultimate goal for me.

I’d like to do a couple of Quincy Jones type projects where others play and sing the songs that we have written. So right now, our songs sit in cyberspace until the day that dream comes true. They are copy written and protected as we await the day we can finally officially and professionally record and release the music from our hearts.