Monday, January 7, 2008

Fasting and Prayer

I spent the weekend in fasting and prayer and the Lord met me in a very special way. It all began with my wife speaking into my life. She reminded me of who God had made me to be. She reminded me of who God had called me to be.

Then I spent most of Saturday in worship and prayer. I listened to songs like Renew Me and I Believe God from Martha Munizzi and was in tears many times.

The Lord is settling so many things in my heart right now. He is especially dealing with me on the real reason HE sent us to Harrisburg. He keeps placing the emphasis on the dreams and prophetic words that constantly talk about rescue, rescue, and rescue. Rather it's the prisons I dreamed about or the tower of religion HE showed me, there seems to be a video playing over and over again: We were sent to rescue people. The Lord has never shown me how many people would be rescued and I made many assumptions about the strategy to do this, but He's reminded me of some things that have happened in my life.

I remember the rescue mission we went on to get my sister's children back. I remember the rescue mission when I helped a woman who was choking in a restaurant. I remember the two times I had to move fast to prevent our home from being burned down. This season has done a lot to change our motivation. I recall how my bishop was told to get out of the fame game, by the Lord. Now GOD has taken us out of it, too.

I now know, with great assurance, that we are not to do anything to try to draw attention or big crowds to ourselves. Everything we do, rather it’s on the website or the radio, is to put people's attention and expectation in the Lord Jesus Christ.
God is giving me a very radical strategy. It's not radical because it's bold or innovative. In fact it's not spectacular or dynamic in any earthly of man-made sense of the word.

The Lord is instructing us to fast and pray as a church family. Then, we are calling our family members to come to the prayer meeting.

After that, we will pray again as a church family, and then we'll call our friends to come to the prayer meeting. We're calling the prayer gatherings, Prayer Dates for 2008.

All this prayer is leading up to a time in which we're going to send out and cry out to the city, calling all who desire prayer for themselves and their families, to come to a prayer gathering. It's radical because it's not a secret fund raiser. It's not a prayer conference. It's not a prophecy show. It's not a secret plot to get people to join our church. It's a call to prayer. We're going to worship and we're going to pray.

I can see the Hand of God in this strategy. It's our last push in this city in this season. There is no fall back plan and no plan B. It's all or nothing this time and you know what: I believe God!