Friday, January 4, 2008

Poured Out

I know I've been really down the last couple days. Mostly, I'm just venting. There's no way I'm going to give up now that we've come this far.

Last night I listened to an audio CD in which my Bishop recounted the journey of our home church from 1987 until 2007. He doesn't know it, but he reminded me how I used to stand in faith along side of him. I believed God no matter what He told us to do. No matter what obstacles we faced, we believed God would come through for us.

I found myself weeping and laughing as he went through story after story. My God, I'm still that same man, so what has happened to me? Why do I struggle to believe God will come through for me, like He did for my bishop?

Then I watched a DVD from a Teaching Series called The Seven Laws of Teaching. In this particular lesson, the instructor talked about several key things that happen to be the very things I've been struggling with the last couple of days.

He said people learn based on how they feel; therefore, people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. He said you have to be willing to be transparent and open with people. He said you have to be willing to be poured out like a drink offering.

Wow! Talk about being socked right between the eyes. That was the very thing I was tired of doing. I was tired of pouring everything out and seeming to never get nothing in return. Don't get me wrong. I don't do this, just to get something back. It's just that you cannot give and give and give and never get filled back up.

But the speaker reminded me that you cannot ever become self focused. If you turn your attention on yourself, you'll begin to die. I must keep my attention outward and not inward. He confirmed the stories my bishop had just recounted by audio CD. Our attention has always been outward and God kept us prosperous as long as we did that.

The same must be done here in this region. God sent us here to be poured out. Okay Lord, I'll do that. I'll be poured out. Like the other night, at Zion Assembly, I'll be spent. If it takes three years to set up three minutes of prophetic ministry, then okay...Yes Lord!

If it takes six months to set up a six second impact on someone's life, then okay...Yes Lord.

I don't know what this confession will cost me, but I guess it really doesn't matter. I'm not my own. I've been bought with a price. I will be poured out for you.